Egg Salad Sandwich, kicked up a notch


For Easter lunch, I made us a simple meal consisting of Egg Salad Sandwiches, Baby Carrots and some Spanish olives. Eggs, Carrots, Easter, get it? The Egg Salad sandwich I make is not what you'd normally find. I make it the way my mom does. I use big chunks of chopped hard-boiled egg, mix it with some mayo, pickled minced red onion, chopped Spanish olives and tuna. It's really the best! Carlos didn't want to have tuna mixed in with the egg and I'm sure most of you wouldn't either. It really makes it more substantial and flavorful but it's fine without. I added a bit of dijon mustard for an extra kick, and to reduce some of the mayo, and voila! Egg Salad Sandwich, kicked up a notch.

Ingredients:

7 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 tsps of Dijon mustard
2 tbsps of Light Mayo
1/4 cup of minced red onion, pickled for 5 minutes in red wine vinegar and drained
1/4 cup of chopped Spanish olives (green olives, pitted and stuffed with pimentos)
6 whole wheat Thomas English Muffins, split & toasted

This makes 6 sandwiches.

Mix everything together in a bowl and portion out on English Muffins. That's it! Easy right? The hardest part is peeling those darn hard-boiled eggs. I put them in cool water and I peel them under the water. This helps me more so that if I peeled them dry. But do whatever works for you. 

You can pickle the red onion in the red wine vinegar for a little more time. Pickling removes some of that sharp raw taste that red onions have and makes them more palatable. Plus the vinegar gives them a nice kick.

Serve with a side of baby carrots and some extra olives.


No comments: