Frozen Peanut Butter Pie with Cookie Crust and Dark Chocolate Drizzle



Which shot looks better?

I got the idea of making a Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie from the cookbook Simply Suppers. As I said in my review of the book, the recipe was too calorie-laden and I went elsewhere for a lighter recipe. I adapted the recipe a bit, replacing regular milk with Almond Milk, adding less whipped topping and also using dark chocolate drizzle over the top. The result? Heavenly. And although I usually don't ever make more than one pie at a time, there is something so satisfying about making this Frozen Peanut Butter pies in twos. It'll go quickly so I encourage you to make two and share with friends and loved ones.

Ingredients:

8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of Almond Milk (vanilla flavored)
1 12 oz container of fat free frozen whipped topping, thawed

container of dark chocolate for melting (Baker's)

2 pre-made Oreo cookie crust pie shells

This makes two pies.

Add the cream cheese and confectioner's sugar to a large bowl. Mix together a little bit with a spatula. This is to prevent all the sugar from flying out the bowl when you mix it properly. At a low setting, use a hand-held mixer to cream the cheese and sugar together. Then add the peanut butter and Almond Milk to the bowl and mix with the hand-held mixer at low. Once everything starts to incorporate, turn it up to high and mix until it's really creamy and smooth. Carefully fold in the thawed whipped topping and mix with a spatula (folding rather than stirring) until everything is combined.

Melt your dark chocolate in the microwave per the package instructions. Set aside.

Add the peanut butter mixture to the two pie shells. Drizzle the dark chocolate over the top with a spoon. Don't worry about getting globs of chocolate on there.

Freeze the pies for 2-3 hours uncovered. Then cover with plastic wrap and keep frozen. Allowing them to freeze uncovered prevents the plastic wrap from warping the filling or the chocolate drizzle.

Slice and serve cold.

8 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I like the top shot better... the pie looks brighter... more of a focal point.

That said, this pie looks amazing! The chocolate drizzle just draws me right in!

Adriana said...

This pie looks really yummy! Chocolate and cream cheese and peanut butter? Sounds delicious!

I like the top shot more too.

nancy@skinnykitchen.com said...

This recipe sounds amazing. The only changes I'd make to keep it skinny are, using reduced-fat cream cheese and fat-free or reduced-fat whipped topping.

Raquel S. said...

Megan - Thank you! I'm trying to get used to my new living space and any help I can get with my food photography is much appreciated.

Adriana - Thanks! I hope you try it. It's very good.

Nancy - Oh I used fat-free whipped topping. I edited the post to say that. My local supermarket doesn't carry reduced-fat cream cheese, which I find strange. I would have used that if it was available.

Sarah Mann said...

drool
This looks so delicious, it's stupid. I want to make one now!

Raquel S. said...

Sarah - I should have called it "Stupidly Good Frozen Peanut Butter Pie"!

abby mumford said...

this sounds (and looks) amazing.

i'm torn by the shots. the top one (against the table) looks more like something you'd see in a cookbook, but because it's against the orange/yellow table, the pie looks whiter. the bottom one (against the paper towel) looks richer and more like peanut butter, i think, because it's against a white backdrop. so my vote goes for the bottom one because i like how it looks more like the title.

but both look good enough to eat.

Miss McCrocodile said...

Another vote for the top shot.
My teeth hurt just looking at it, but I think my tummy would be happy!