Carlos' Salad


Carlos is arguably the girl in our relationship. He has more clothes and shoes than I do, he goes all gooey over sentimental moments he sees on TV or in a movie, and he eats a crazy amount of salad. Some months ago, we went to a Legal Seafood restaurant. I ordered fish and chips and he ordered a Greek salad. The server (not our waitress) served me the salad and Carlos the fish and chips and was quite amused to find out that it was the guy who had ordered the salad. Recently, Carlos described to me his ideal salad. It would have a base of lettuce and contain a healthy amount of celery and cucumbers (his favorite vegetables) and some carrots. No tomatoes! Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing would be a must. He always has at least two bottles on hand for salad emergencies.

So I decided to make a big bowl of this salad for him and I very much enjoyed watching his devour it. I wish I had snapped a picture. A big man, with an oversized bowl between his legs as he shovels salad in his mouth: a priceless moment. ::swoon::

What would your ideal salad be? I'd love to hear your salad combinations!


Ingredients:

Head of Romaine chopped
2 Carrots thinly sliced
3 celery stalks sliced
2 cucumbers sliced

Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing

Toss all the vegetables together and add dressing to taste.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How funny! My wife Eberle & I have some reversals too--I'm definitely a "softy" too. Ideal salad: a really well-made Greek Salad is pretty hard to beat!

Chef Mireille said...

i like mixing different types of flavors - so my usual at least once a week salad is mesclun greens (or Romaine) cucumbers, jicama, dried cranberries and slivered almonds, fresh cilantro and mint. Dressing is usually either a raspberry vinaigrette or a homemade dressing I make with ginger, mirin and orange blossom water