Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Burgers on Nature's Pride Whole Wheat Buns


I'm ready. I'm ready to strengthen my cooking muscles. I'm ready to enhance my kitchen abilities. I'm ready to take my culinary skills to the next level. How am I going to do that? Start inventing more of my own signature recipes.

When Foodbuzz and Nature's Pride sent me some of Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Buns, I wanted to challenge myself and not only make something I've never made before but also try coming up with something new. Lo and behold: Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Burgers. These are so tasty, you don't even need any seasoning. The combination of onion, garlic, cilantro, lime and black beans is so flavorful that adding any salt or pepper would be criminal. These burgers are healthy. Black beans provide good protein. The Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Buns are sturdy and hold up well. You can definitely stack a couple burgers easily in one bun. They taste delicious too.

These burgers are simple and unique. They'll knock your everyday beef burger out of the park! Try it out. What are you waiting for?

Ingredients

1 small onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 29 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
zest and juice of one lime
3 tablespoons (small bunch) of cilantro leaves
1 egg
1/2 cup of breadcrumbs (less to taste)
Sliced plum tomatoes
dollops of sour cream
Nature's Pride Whole Wheat Buns

Makes 6-8 burgers







In your food processor, add your onion and garlic. Pulse until minced. Then add black beans, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Pulse until smooth.

In a bowl, add the bean mixture, one egg and breadcrumbs. Mix until the egg and breadcrumbs are incorporated.

With wet hands, form the black bean burger mix into patties. You can get 6-8 out of this mixture, I happened to make 7.  Heat up your grill pan and add a drizzle of light olive oil. When the pan is hot, grill  each patty until its crispy on both sides. These are delicate burgers so be careful when flipping.




Toast your Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Buns. Each package comes with 8, so if you make 8 burgers you can use the whole bag! Add your burger to the bun and top it off with a couple of slices of tomato, a dollop of sour cream and some cilantro. Enjoy!

Cilantro-Lime Black Bean Burgers on FoodistaCilantro-Lime Black Bean Burgers

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I haven't had a chance to try out the new Nature's Pride Buns yet, but this recipe looks delicious. I love black bean burgers!

kate gabrielle said...

This sounds so yummy!! I've been in the mood for homemade burgers lately too. Is cilantro spicy? I've never tried it because I've always thought it would have too much ZING! to it.. if it is, what do you think is a good substitute in this recipe?

Raquel S. said...

Kate - Cilantro isn't spicy. In fact, it's kind of mild. It's like the Spanish version of parsley if you want to think of it that way. A small percentage of people cannot taste cilantro properly. For them the taste is akin to soap. For everyone else, it's palatable. I would suggest taking a small leaf from a bunch at the grocery store and chewing on it. if it doesn't taste like soap, buy it and use it in the recipe. Do NOT use parsley or anything else as a substitute.