Apple-Picking Baking Madness ~ Cinnamon-Apple Bread

This is NOT-apple crisp. It is the anti-apple crisp. I was going to make apple crisp then I decided NOT to make it.

I was walking through the Somerville Farmer's Market on Wednesday and saw some beautiful packaged loaves of Cinnamon-Apple Bread. Why didn't I buy one? Phsaw! That's boring. I like the challenge of making it myself.

I did some research and tried to find a good recipe for this bread but to no avail. So being my resourceful self, I took Emeril Lagasse's recipe for banana bread from the Food Network website and altered it to make Cinnamon-Apple Bread. The bread at the farmer's market had a beautiful cinnamon sugar toping so I made sure to add that as well. I'm impressed with the results.

Cinnamon Apple Bread

Ingredients:

Apples
3 Apples peeled and chopped

Dry Ingredients

2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
Dash of Nutmeg and Ground Cloves (optional)

Wet Ingredients
3/4 cup light olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.



Start with some lovely apples. Here are three Golden delicious ones.

Peel them, halve them, quarter them then core them. This is my favorite part!

Then take each quarter and slice down the middle then cut across for chunks.


Mine were too big, make yours smaller. Add to a bowl and squeeze some lemon juice over them so they don't get brown.


Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl. This picture looks oddly beautiful!


Then mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.


Drain the apples and pat them dry. Then toss them in the dry ingredients and coat. This will ensure that the chunks don't fall to the bottom of the batter.


Mix wet ingredients into the dry until fully incorporated. Add batter to a greased loaf pan.

In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the top of the cake batter. Cook in the oven for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

That brown sugar and cinnamon topping creates a wonderful crispy crust on top. The bread is nice and moist. It came out well with my only complaint being that the apple chunks were too big. Next time maybe I'll do thin apple slices halved instead.
Cinammon-Apple Bread on Foodista

2 comments:

Thomas Pluck said...

This looks really good! Next time include a shot of some slices :)

I have all the ingredients for this and I'm stuck home sick, so I might even make it today.
Thanks for sharing!

Raquel S. said...

Tommy - The slices were rather ugly which is why I didn't take a pic. It's because the apple chunks were too big.

Besides, the whole bread was consumed rather quickly. :-)

If you make this, take a picture of your slices and I"ll post it up here with a link to your blog.