Domincan Triples Sandwich with Nature's Pride Bread

I just got the amazing opportunity to try out two different loaves of Nature's Pride bread. When I received them in the mail, I thought to myself "what am I going to do with two whole loaves of bread"? I stuck them in the freezer immediately and got to thinking. It didn't take me long to come up with 4 sandwiches that would really take advantage of these breads! Here is the first one.

Dominican Triples Sandwich

My mother is from the Dominican Republic but she had very little to no experience with this sandwich. I found the recipe on the Dominican Cooking website and found it interesting. It's a triple-layer sandwich used as an appetizer for parties. I think it's far too complicated to make to just be an appetizer so I incorporated it into a proper dinner. The original recipe seemed only had 2 layers which I thought was strange (unless they thought the bread was the third layer), so I added a third one. It's one layer of egg salad, a second layer of avocado salad and a third layer of tuna salad.

This recipe makes 3 sandwiches

Egg Salad

6 hard-boiled eggs chopped
1/3 cup of Mayo
1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard
Some chopped Dill
Salt and Pepper


The most difficult part is peeling those darn eggs! Otherwise, just throw everything into a bowl and mix. Set aside.



Avocado Salad

1 whole avocado
1 small tomato
Lemon juice
Salt and Pepper


Run a knife along the outside of the avocado from tip to tip until it's cut all the way around. Then twist until the two halves come apart. Hit the knife quickly onto the pit and twist your knife until the pit pops out. Score lines down the halves of the avocado making sure you cut all the way until you hit the skin (don't cut past the skin though). Do a cross hatch by scoring it across. Do this to both halves and scoop out the chunks with a big spoon running it along the inside of the skin.

Chop your tomato and add to a bowl with the avocado. Add Salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and mash the avocaodo a little bit. This will help hold the mixture together but will still allow you to have chunks of avocado.

An alernate way of doing this is just creating thin slices of avocado and tomato for layering in the sandwich. Don't forget the lemon juice so that the avocado doesn't get brown on you!


Tuna Salad

This is where I take from my Dominican side. My mother always made tuna salad with vinegared red onions. I have fond memories of this and I like to make it when I can. The red onions add a kick and the vinegar helps remove some of the raw flavor of the onion.

1 quarter of a red onion finely diced
2 tablespoons of red-wine vinegar
2 small cans/1 big can of tuna packed in olive oil
Mayo to taste



Process the onions and add them to a bowl with the vinegar. Let sit for 5 minutes or so.



Drain the red onions to get rid of the vinegar and add to the tuna mixing in mayo to your taste. You'll notice my photos didn't have any mayo (oops!). You'll need the mayo to hold the tuna salad together and to prevent your sandwich from falling apart.



Dominican Triples Sandwich
6 slices of Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Bread
Egg Salad
Avocado Salad
Tuna Salad




I have to say I was really impressed with Nature's Pride 100% Whole Wheat Bread. The slices were hearty and wide. They really held up with this monster sandwich. However, unlike most whole wheat breads it wasn't rough like sandpaper! It was nice and soft which goes well with the soft salads within the sandwich.



I do one layer of egg salad on one side, tuna salad on the other and the avocado salad in between.



Enjoy this with a nice hot bowl of tomato rice soup and some Giardinera (pickled vegetables) on the side.

Dominican Triples Sandwich on Foodista

No comments: