Gingerbread Waffles with Cinnamon Peach Topping


I'm not exaggerating when I say these waffles are flipping amazing. It's not so much the waffle itself but the combination of spices, the aroma of the molasses and the sweetness of the peaches that makes this recipe simply divine. I was trying to come up with new waffle recipes now that I have a lovely waffle maker. My friend Lisa suggested gingerbread waffles. I liked the idea but I was imagining these dark super spicy waffles that would be unappetizing. I'm not the biggest fan of gingerbread but I do enjoy it in moderation. So when I was searching through various gingerbread waffle recipes on the internet, I decided to create my own, with ideas borrowed from several of the recipes and with the idea of making these waffles light on the molasses, light on the spices and soft and moist. The result was fabulous! Originally, I had intended to put cinnamon apples on top but I loved the idea of cinnamon peaches even better. If you want to wow your family or friends with a fantastic brunch, make sure this is on your menu!


Cinnamon Peaches with Syrup

Ingredients:
1 bag of frozen peaches (not fresh)
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 tbsp of sugar

Mix the frozen peaches, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight. Frozen peaches work the best with this because of their softer texture that they attain during the freezing process. If you don't have time to let this macerate overnight, pop it in the microwave and zap it for 20 second intervals, stir until you get the desired texture. Macerating these overnight will create the most delicious brown liquid that will surpass any maple syrup you'll ever have.

Gingerbread Waffles

Ingredients:*

2 cups of flour
2 tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/8 tsp of ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
6 tbsp of soft margarine
4 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp of molasses
1 cup of almond milk (or soymilk or regular milk)
1/2 cup of sour cream

This makes 8 waffles.

Heat up your Belgian waffle maker.

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, spices in a bowl. Toss the margarine tablespoon by tablespoon into the flour mixture. Add the eggs, molasses, milk and sour cream. Mix thoroughly until all lumps are gone but don't over mix. Add some of the mixture to your waffle maker. About 1/2 a cup or so. Cook until it's the desired crispiness. Layer the waffles in between paper towels to keep them from getting soggy.

Serve with some of the cinnamon peach and syrup topping. Enjoy!

*If you want these spicier, add more ground nutmeg and ground cloves. If you want it darker add more molasses. If you want it crispier, replace the soft margarine with melted butter.

Gingerbread Waffles With Cinnamon Peach Topping

7 comments:

The Small Boston Kitchen said...

This looks so good! Perfect for a rainy day like today...love the gingerbread/peach combo!

Delicious Dishings said...

I was so excited about the bagels I picked up for breakfast until I read this post. These waffles sound sooo much better! Hope you're having a good weekend.

Unknown said...

More good waffles! This is making me lust for a waffle maker.

Raquel S. said...

Small Boston Kitchen - A fabulous indoor brunch on a rainy day is even better than going out to your local brunch joint. I firmly believe in making brunch at home as much as possible. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Megan - I thought of you when I made these since you've been on a gingerbread kick lately. I'm so glad you stumbled upon the post! If you try them, please do let me know.

John - They are not expensive and I'm so glad I coughed up the money to finally get one. It will pay for itself very quickly.

Alessandra said...

Hi! This recipe looks delicious!! I should try making this recipe in my vintage waffle maker.

The1stdaughter said...

Oh wow! This looks absolutely delicious! Now, if I weren't allergic to cinnamon...I know, it's awful! But I can always substitute and/or leave it out. Still may have to give it a try. It just looks SO good!

erica said...

gingerbread waffles sound heavenly let alone adding cinnamon peach topping now that sounds absolutely delish. Thanks so much for sharing! I am your newest follower.

xo