A List to Build a Dream On

I know, I know, it is way too late to create a guide to Christmas presents for foodies. It's even too late to do a Last-Minute one. So instead, I thought I'd just share with you my wish list for my kitchen. These are items I lust for. Some items I hope to get soon and others are merely pipe dreams for now. It's been tough financially in 2010 but when I moved in with Carlos I was given access to a larger kitchen and was able to save up enough money to pay off all the credit card debt I accumulated during my years at grad school. His old refrigerator, which had been empty for years, couldn't quite take the strain of having to keep food cold and went kaputz. We had to invest in a brand new refrigerator and luckily for us it came at a moment when we could afford it. I purchased a new waffle maker, earlier in the year I invested in a food processor (finally!), I got a specialty knife sharpener for my Wusthof and I got a replacement grill pan when I discovered that the exposed aluminum in my old grill pan was dangerous. I hope in 2011, I'll be able to afford some new things that will help enhance my cooking (the lack of certain things holds me back) as well as improve this blog.


Grill/Griddle Domed Splatter Shield from Williams-Sonoma - $29.95

I still have a scar from the second degree burn I got back in May (When Bad Things Happen to Good Cooks). Hot oil splashed on my wrist when I threw some chicken into a too-hot pan. This splatter shield could have saved me! I didn't even know this even existed until I saw one at a Williams-Sonoma store. I did a double-take, gasped, smiled, hugged it and put it back. Maybe next time I'll get one. I grill a lot indoors and this will be infinitely useful to prevent burns as well as grease splatter.


Kuhn Rikon Paring Knife Nonstick Green - $11.50

I saw this on Megan's blog Delicious Dishings and I instantly fell in love with it. I definitely need a new paring knife and one in lime green with a protective sheath? Awesome!

 

The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals and  In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

My doctor prescribed both of these books to me when I saw him during my last physical. I have some form of IBS with light forms of lactose and carbohydrate intolerance. My doctor thinks that reading these will be good for me so I'm more informed about the food I eat and what it does to my body. I already purchased What To Eat by Marion Nestle upon his recommendation.


Kitchen Aid Artisan Stand Mixer in Empire Red - $350.00

It's more than just a mixer. It's a status symbol. If you are serious about cooking, this has got to be in your kitchen. But it comes with a hefty price tag. My beau Carlos bargain hunted for a cheaper model to get me for my birthday but even the cheapest price was far too expensive for his budget. I commend him for trying. I keep reading about how much people love theirs or how they got one for their birthday. I get so envious of them. I know if I got one, I'd show it off too but in the meantime I will curse at everyone who owns one.



Like the Kitchen Aid mixer, I've been reading about how other people have gotten fancy mandonlines and I have cursed to the heavens about the unfairness of it all. I don't want a dinky mandoline, I want a nice one! One that means business. And this one takes no prisoners.
 

 
 
All-Clad Stainless Steel Roaster with Rack (and thermometer!) - $245.00
Worth the investment in my opinion. Especially if it means I can start roasting chickens that won't stick to the bottom of my baking dish (because that's what I use!). This one is a pipe dream for sure. It's cheaper and more convenient for me to buy rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. For some reason, a cooked whole chicken is less expensive than a raw one. That boggles my mind! Also, realistically a Lasagna/Roaster with removable rack is a more economical and practical investment for me to make.

A Good Quality SLR Camera - Prices vary

I need a better camera. I used to be really into photography and even considered it as a career. I had an amazing SLR and I took a class at the New England School of Photography (NESOP). This was just before digital cameras became big. When all the new technology hit, my beautiful SLR became obsolete. I invested in a digital SLR that was crap, and two point-and-shoots which were better than my expensive digital SLR but still crap. I really envy those food bloggers who have nice cameras and gorgeous food shots on their blogs. It's really difficult taking pictures in a dark, windowless kitchen with bad lighting and a crappy point-and-shoot.

What are you hoping to get for your kitchen for Christmas or for the New Year?

2 comments:

Delicious Dishings said...

I would also love to get a good-quality SLR camera. I think it would improve my pictures so much.

I have both of those books and really need to spend more time reading them... I've skimmed both but haven't devoted the reading time I'd like to them.

Love, love, love that paring knife! It comes in tons of different colors too if other people don't love green as much as we do!

The1stdaughter said...

I'm drooling over that All-Clad Roaster...ahhh! One day. Plus I would love to have a mandoline, but I think I'm going to have to wait until the kiddos are older because it's just too scary to have in the house.

You would absolutely love Kuhn Paring Knife! My hubby got one for Christmas last year and we've absolutely loved it. We use it all the time and have thought about getting a couple more because they're so cheap. Also, In Defense of Food, is a fantastic book! You should definitely pick it up sometime. Really good reading material. I'd never heard of a splatter shield though and now I think I may have to invest in one, your story is just too scary, especially with the kiddos around.

Great list! I hope you got at least a couple of items this year!