Restaurant Review ~ Sea Dog Pub in Woburn


I was really excited for Sea Dog Brew Pub to come to Woburn. It replaces Nickel's Grille which was a so-so restaurant but wasn't unique enough to draw out the Woburnites to visit enough to keep it open. Sea Dog Brew Pub has what it takes. It's a got a good reputation, a solid following and a whole lot of beer. Carlos and I went on opening weekend. I went ahead of Carlos and when I got there all I saw were drunk people. I made the unfortunate decision of sitting in the waiting area where there were 3 drunk people, getting more drunk and 2 random drunk guys joined in. Oy vey. Plus there were several ladies dressed in the skank couture scoping out the male population that gathered in a large cluster around the bar. I just wanted to eat because I was very hungry.


So hungry that I almost ate the menu!


Let me preface this by saying that Carlos is a major drama queen when it comes to ordering at a restaurant. He was hell bent on getting an Allagash Beer even though it's a beer from another company and Sea Dog Brew Pub is a Microbrewery and serves their own beer. The sassy bartender came over with 3 Allagash-y samples for Mr. Drama Queen to try out. He picked out one which of course he doesn't even remember the name of. So next time we go to Sea Dog Brew Pub we'll have to go through all of this Allagash-y ordering stuff all over again. Another Oy Vey! I got their Sea Dog Raz which was delicious but very potent. I was as drunk as the people at the bar by the time I finished it. (I have low tolerance!)



 We ordered a plate of fried calamari as an appetizer. Mr. Drama Queen hates all type of seafood but for some reason he loves calamari so this is pretty standard for us to get whenever we go out to eat. This calamari was absolute delicious. And I can't tell if it's because I was ravenous or because it was really good. The calamari was perfectly cooked, the breading was delicious and it was topped with a cherry pepper aoili, arugula and jalapenos.


Mr. Drama Queen demands a plate of lemon wedges. Per usual. He always orders Tabasco too but I think he skipped it this time because of the jalapenos. On one of our early dates, we ordered calamari and he covered the calamari with lemon juice even though I didn't want it on there. He's learned his lesson and now we split the calamari and top it the way we want.


Because Mr. Drama Queen doesn't like seafood, I often get it as a meal when I go out to eat. I grew up with seafood so it's part of my diet that I don't ever want to give up. Shrimp, lobster, mussels, clams, fish,  scallops, you name it I love it (except Salmon which is pure evil). So I ordered the above seafood wrap, which was supposed to come with fried shrimp, haddock and scallops but they forgot the shrimp. Boo! It  also had very little tartar sauce plus some dry pickle relish I didn't care for. Overall it was so-so. The ginormous onion rings though were absolutely divine! Super thick onion ring covered in a deliciously seasoned coating. They only give you 4 or 5 but they are big enough that it doesn't matter!


Mr. Drama Queen got a Meatloaf sandwich which was topped off with Swiss Cheese and red onion and came with a side of tater tots. The tots were like fried blobs of mashed potatoes. I guess I prefer my tots to have chunks of potatoes in it. Carlos gave me a bite of the sandwich which was good but not to my taste. If you love meatloaf sandwiches though, you'll like it!

I'm looking forward to visiting Sea Dog Brew Pub soon and I hope they stick around for a long time!

1 comment:

The1stdaughter said...

Oh my goodness, you totally crack me up! This is hilarious! I love the plate with all the lemon wedges. I would have smacked him for ruining the calamari with lemon as well, I can't stand it all over it.

Maybe I need to get out more because all of this food is making me very hungry. Even those tater tots at the end look really good. Yes, I need to get out. LOL

Great review! Now I'm wishing it was closer.